The Blue Jackets host the Red Wings on Wednesday night, and I’m recommending a spot-start for Jackets LW Raffi Torres.
1. He’s hot. He has four goals in his last four games — specifically, he scored twice at Atlanta Nov. 5 and twice at Washington Nov. 1.
2. He’s available. He’s only 2.8 percent owned in ESPN leagues and six percent owned in Yahoo! formats.
3. Other left wings are on the shelf. No one yet knows the availability of Stars LW James Neal or Caps LW Alex Ovechkin. Never mind the injuries to Kovalchuk, Sedin, and Gagne.
4. He has a strong track record against the Red Wings. In five games against Detroit last season, Torres scored two goals and tallied one assist. He also logged eight penalty minutes.
5. Jackets G Steve Mason can handle the Wings. In the regular season, that is. Last year, in five games, Mason went 3-2 with a .930 save percentage and a 2.38 GAA.
So get Torres in your lineup. If he doesn’t score Wednesday night, you can guiltlessly drop him.
photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons